Stanford EE Computer Systems Colloquium

4:15PM, Wednesday, May 27, 2015
HP Auditorium, Gates Computer Science Building Room B1
Stanford University
http://ee380.stanford.edu

Security and the Software Defined Network

Phillip Porras
SRI International
About the talk:

Modern networks are undergoing an exciting transition toward a paradigm of greater programmability and dynamic flow management. For the network security community, this transformation is opening attractive opportunities for more innovative forms of threat mitigation. It is also raising interesting challenges in how to reconcile our legacy notions of well-defined security policy enforcement. I will discuss some of the ongoing work toward securing software defined networks (SDNs), as well as some interesting new SDN-enabled security and management applications.

Slides:

No slides to download at this time.

Videos:

About the speaker:

[speaker photo] My name is Phil Porras. I am a Program Director, an SRI Fellow, and leader of SRI's Internet Security Group in the Computer Science Laboratory at SRI International. We are established leaders in live Internet malware binary harvesting, malware binary static and dynamic analyses, and network-based malware infection analysis. My group has strong alliances with the whitehat community, and maintains ongoing collaborations with the top INFOSEC researchers in academia and the private sector. I have been a Principal Investigator for many research projects sponsored by DARPA, DoD, DHS, NSF, NSA, commercial customers, and others. I have led multi-organizational large-scale projects with mixed academic and commercial collaborators, led many advanced research projects, and have been highly productive in acquiring goverment, military, and commercial projects involving Cyber Security R&D. I am an active researcher, publishing and conducting technology development in intrusion detection, alarm correlation, malware analysis, active networks, and wireless security. Previously, I was a manager in the Trusted Computer Systems Department of the Aerospace Corporation, where I was also an experienced trusted product evaluator for NSA (which includes security testing, risk assessment, and penetration testing of systems and networks). I've participated on numerous program committees, and editorial boards, and on multiple commercial company technical advisory boards. I hold 12 (a dozen) U.S. patents, and have been awarded Best Paper honors in 1995, 1999, and 2008.

Contact information:

Phillip Porras
SRI International